Walk in the middle of the lake with solid ground under your feet: enjoy Lake Zurich from a different perspective.
A timber bridge spanned Lake Zurich at its narrowest point as early as the Middle Ages, connecting Rapperswil with the villages of Canton Schwyz.
In contrast to today, it was not restricted to pedestrians: cart traffic and livestock were also permitted to use it. Wars and the forces of nature destroyed it several times, either completely or partially. It was renovated for the last time in 1847.
Its key role as a transport link was transferred to the stone lake dam in 1878, whereupon the timber bridge disappeared from the landscape. Increasing traffic on the lake dam made the proposition of a pedestrian bridge more attractive: the turn of the millennium saw the reappearance of a timber boardwalk on the same site as the old one, financed by private donations and contributions from cantons and municipalities. The new bridge was opened on 6 April 2001.
As in the Middle Ages, the timber bridge is still part of the Way of St. James today. Pilgrims and walkers alike pass by the Heilighüsli chapel: built in 1551, this remnant of the old bridge was reachable only by boat during the period 1878–2001. On the Schwyz side, a delightful footpath continues through the Frauenwinkel nature reserve.